Information for Applicants
Cancer Research Wales is committed to helping researchers carry out the best work. We’re funding world-class research to address the big challenges and key priorities for cancer in Wales. We can help you turn your research ideas into a reality, and together we can transform cancer in Wales and beyond.
Please read the below documents before applying. We are excited to work with you and help change lives in Wales.
Cancer Research Wales is a member of the Association of Medical Research Charities and we adhere to their guidance on grant review processes to ensure we follow best practice. We follow a rigorous process to ensure that we only fund high-quality research. The steps of the process are outlined below:
- Grant Call Opens - Researchers are invited to submit an expression of interest.
- Initial Assessment - Expressions of interest are checked for eligibility and fit with the Cancer Research Wales strategic aims. Those that are successful are invited to submit full applications.
- Peer Review Process - Full applications are sent to at least 3 independent external experts in the relevant field. Reviewers are asked to award a score and comment on the application. Where appropriate, a rebuttal may be requested from the applicants to address points raised by the reviewers. Anonymised feedback from the reviewers is provided to all applicants.
- Scientific Committee Recommendation - The Cancer Research Wales Scientific Committee scrutinise and vote upon each application, taking into account the scoring and comments from peer reviewers. Only the strongest applications are recommended for funding.
- Board of Trustees Decision - The recommendations of the Scientific Committee are communicated to the Cancer Research Wales Board of Trustees, who provide final approval for funding.
During the funding period, Cancer Research Wales maintains regular contact with the researchers and conducts a formal annual progress monitoring process.
Cancer Research Wales does not fund research in which animals are used and does not intent to do so in future.